Title: Ngayuku Ngure - My Country,
by Aboriginal artist Burton Wawiriya
152 x 122 cm
At 17, while others embraced the future, stroking their past ... I discovered our family history following the death of my grandmother. A bit mythical
punctuated with some great figures, it offered a seductive romance for a teenager. Bookworm certain days, an intruder in the family cellars others, I went in search of the archives, or silences testimony of the ancients. I lived on the border between two eras, between the future and requiring lights yesterday.
This dichotomy has forged my memory, my taste to keep track, to maintain liaison between the generations. Objects after objects found in the desert or in the modesty of the daily, small universe of witnesses with me.
Then one day, it was a great crash. I had to invent my way of solving this equation between tradition and modernity, to find the way to a new environment.
I was looking for some synthesis of a strong link between all these dimensions, both material philosophical and mythological.
Undoubtedly the discovery of Aboriginal art has played the role of a sort of catalyst. He can win as a powerful vector multi-millennial tradition, as a force for innovation constantly reinventing the era of the Dream.
The past became a crutch, a lever, a platform to invent its future. The art of transgression in a kind of inherited principles. Collecting the works of artists had disappeared more sense. I had to live with my time. I wanted to listen to the pulsating rhythm of a contemporary, immediate, in the heart of creation, in the discovery of paintings and artists of this spontaneous.
In this quest still small I decided to turn towards the new emerging Aboriginal communities. It's here and not elsewhere that saw the continuous vibration of the artistic movement.
is in this spirit that I particularly appreciate the creations of the artist Wawiriya Burton presented above. Born in 1928 she was also a finalist a few months ago Telstra Price award 2010.
0 comments:
Post a Comment